Greenbush School is located in Harrisville in Northeast Lower Michigan in Alcona County on the shores of Lake Huron. The community was settled in 1848 by Crosier Davison who came from Detroit to build a fishery and cooperage. In 1862 tracts of government land was bought by Morris & McDougal Company from New York for their lumber operations.
In 1867, lumber magnate, William Conklin suggested naming the community after Greenbush, New York instead of its current name McDougal’s Landing. The Greenbush post office opened in 1870 and remains open with the 48738 zip code. In 1917 the post office was changed to Perfection and changed by to Greenbush in 1921
Today, with the Lake Huron shoreline and Cedar Lake it has remained a prime tourist attraction. They have made sure to preserve much of it historical character architecturally with the township all and Greenbush School. Greenbush school was a one room school house and is owned by the Greenbush Historical Society and now operates as a museum.
Civil War and After (1860-1875) – Registered in 1979 and erected in 1987 – ID # L728A
Located at SW corner of Campbell and State Road, Harrisville, Greenbush – Lat: 44.58601300 / Long: -83.31974400
Built in 1870, across from the township hall, Greenbush School is one of Alcona County’s pioneer schools. It remained a part of the Alcona County educational system until 1947. The school began with twenty-five students, kindergarten through eighth grade. During the lumbering era, when Greenbush grew into a settlement of fifteen hundred people, the school served up to sixty students. The building was moved to its present location next to the Township Hall in 1979. A fire hall was built on its original site.