The Lighthouse Lost to Lake Michigan

Today, visitors to North Manitou Island can search the shoreline at Dimmick’s Point and find only scattered remnants of what was once one of the most impressive lighthouse complexes in northern Lake Michigan.

For nearly four decades, North Manitou Island Light guided vessels through the busy Manitou Passage, helping mariners safely navigate one of the Great Lakes’ most important shipping routes. Yet unlike many historic lighthouses that survive today, this lighthouse was ultimately swallowed by the very lake it was built to serve.

Its story is one of ambitious construction, technological innovation, relentless shoreline erosion, and a lighthouse that quite literally disappeared into Lake Michigan.

Marking an Important Passage

By the 1890s, commercial shipping traffic through northern Lake Michigan was heavier than ever.

Mariners traveling between Green Bay and the Straits of Mackinac generally used one of three routes. One of those routes passed between North Manitou Island and South Fox Island through what became known as the Manitou Passage.

Although a lighthouse marked South Fox Island starting in 1867, no light marked the southern side of the seventeen-mile-wide passage. Given the volume of maritime traffic using the route, the Lighthouse Board recognized the need for a lighthouse and fog signal station on North Manitou Island.

Congress approved the establishment of a station in 1893, although funding delays and land acquisition issues postponed construction for several years.

Building a First-Class Light Station

Work finally began in 1896, and the Lighthouse Service spared little expense.

The station included an elaborate two-story brick keeper’s dwelling, a fog signal building, boathouse, oil house, barn, woodshed, and eventually a lighthouse tower.

Many considered the keeper’s residence one of the finest ever constructed on North Manitou Island.
 

Inside were ceramic tile floors, varnished oak woodwork, built in cabinetry, glass front china cabinets, and even decorative pressed tin ceilings. Compared to many remote lighthouse stations, the accommodations were remarkably elegant.

The fog signal building was completed first and placed into operation in late 1896. Twin steam powered whistles warned vessels during periods of poor visibility, their blasts echoing across the waters of the Manitou Passage.

A Change in Plans

Originally, engineers intended to construct an innovative cylindrical iron lighthouse similar to other stations then being developed on the Great Lakes.

For reasons that remain unclear, those plans were abandoned.

Instead, a large pyramidal timber tower was selected. Construction began in 1898, with workers erecting a substantial open frame structure supported by massive timber beams. The upper portion of the tower included an enclosed service room and lantern gallery.

The station’s fourth order Fresnel lens arrived from Paris that same year.

Manufactured by L. Sautter et Cie., the lens produced alternating red and white flashes every ten seconds. Positioned atop the tower, the light stood approximately seventy feet above Lake Michigan and could be seen from sixteen miles away in clear weather.

The first illumination took place on September 15, 1898.

By the following year, additional improvements included a larger dock, extensive boardwalks, and a flagpole rising sixty feet above the station grounds.

Life on a Remote Island

Operating a lighthouse on North Manitou Island was demanding work.

Keepers maintained both the light and the steam powered fog signal while living in relative isolation. During foggy seasons, the station’s boilers consumed tremendous quantities of wood.

In 1899 alone, keepers burned eighty-eight cords of wood to power the fog whistles for a record 757 hours.

Life also carried risks.

In 1910, Keeper Edward Cornell suffered a serious accident while attempting to repair a leaking gasoline tank. Unaware that fuel vapors remained inside, he began soldering a seam when the tank exploded.

The blast ignited the boat and severely injured Cornell’s ankle. Despite his injuries, he managed to extinguish the fire and save the station before receiving medical treatment. Months passed before he fully recovered.

Fighting the Lake

The greatest threat to North Manitou Light was not storms or mechanical failure.

It was erosion.

Dimmick’s Point was constantly exposed to powerful wave action. Over time, the shoreline began disappearing as Lake Michigan steadily reclaimed the beach in front of the station.

By 1912, conditions had become serious enough that water was reaching the foundations of the fog signal building. Engineers responded by constructing a series of protective cribs designed to stabilize the shoreline and trap sand.

For a time, the effort worked. A wide beach formed in front of the station and temporarily protected the buildings.

Unfortunately, the solution would not last forever.

Modernization and Closure

Technology continued advancing during the early twentieth century.

In 1916, the station’s oil lamp was upgraded to an incandescent oil vapor system that dramatically increased the brightness of the light. Later, in 1928, the lighthouse was automated using an acetylene powered beacon equipped with a sun valve.

Automation ended the era of resident lighthouse keepers on North Manitou Island.

Just a few years later, the station’s future became uncertain.

The construction of the offshore North Manitou Shoal Light in 1935 made the island station largely unnecessary. The new lighthouse marked the passage more effectively, and North Manitou Island Light was discontinued.

The property was declared surplus and sold at auction in 1938.

A Lighthouse Claimed by the Shoreline

Without lighthouse keepers to maintain the property or shoreline protection to hold back the lake, erosion accelerated.

The wooden tower stood only a few years after privatization.

As waves undermined its foundation, the structure finally collapsed in October 1942.

The keeper’s dwelling survived longer, but its fate was ultimately the same.

By the 1960s, Lake Michigan had reached the building itself. The shoreline side of the foundation began disappearing, causing sections of the structure to collapse. In 1968, one wall gave way entirely, exposing the interior like a giant dollhouse.

The remainder of the once elegant dwelling collapsed during the early 1970s.

Remembering a Lost Lighthouse

Unlike many Great Lakes lighthouses that survive as museums and historic landmarks, North Manitou Island Light exists today primarily through photographs, records, and memories.

Its fourth order Fresnel lens, steam fog signal, elegant keeper’s residence, and towering timber beacon have all disappeared.

Yet for nearly forty years, the station played a vital role in guiding vessels through the Manitou Passage and protecting mariners traveling the busy waters of northern Lake Michigan.

Its disappearance also serves as a reminder that the Great Lakes are constantly changing. Shorelines shift, beaches move, and even substantial structures can eventually be reclaimed by nature.

Few Michigan lighthouses tell that story more dramatically than North Manitou Island Light.

Explore our full collection of Northern Michigan lighthouse stories here


Start planning your trip today and explore the legacy of Michigan’s maritime history!

📍 Explore the Map Below